Nov 4, 2022

Gaming mom #026: The vow (Part 2)

Okay, so I've broken my promise. The vow was not to buy games for the rest of 2022. 


I held out for 8 months, which is not bad at all. Though... I did end up buying not just one game but three on sale! They were on sale, what I could do? 

Guess there's nothing like a little shopping therapy and the satisfaction of a good bargain.

Looking back on my other resolutions for 2022, here's how I did:

Didn't spend less time gaming. But I did spend more time working on writing and editing skills. I'll be leaving the LG team next year to make more time for work and space to breathe. A tough decision I was sad about, but a necessary one for this season of young parenthood plus reviving a career. 

Didn't make headway in breaking my habit of sleeping too late at night. But I am waking earlier to do things that matter to me, before Miss S wakes. In fact, I'm surprised that I've checked off these items off my resolution list:

  • beta-read a sci-fi novel
  • revise an old nonfiction essay
  • try fiction writing exercises
  • review games for LG
  • optionally, continue this blog
  • correspond with writer buddies who inspire me

Going back to my no-new-games vow...  

Yep, I didn't see it through to December but I am, at least, focused on playing only one game at a time. When I'm not reviewing a title for LG, I dip into the turn-based tactical goodness that is Triangle Strategy.

Midway through the game, I started getting my rear handed to me. The first several chapters were pretty easy side, but now I'm losing battles on first try. 

What makes that failure much less frustrating is that, even if I lose or retreat, I get to keep XP and other accumulated points. Consumed items are reset too. So none of it feels like a waste of time.

And what makes retrying battles fun is planning a new strategy, then biting my nails as I test it. Instead of splitting my forces in two, what if I focused my army on the east side? Send only my riders to the south as a splinter group, then pull them back after an initial strike? Let's see if it pans out.

Meanwhile, Black Friday approaches. I'll be keeping an eye out for good sales, as if I don't already have too many games. Yes, just one more game will do it...