Oct 13, 2022

Gaming mom #025: Getting tactical, RPG-style

I've started on two games with party-based combat.


Icewind Dale is a traditional RPG that's more about the battles than the story. Triangle Strategy is a strategy RPG that feels like it's as much about the story as the battles.

Ye olde Icewind Dale is my next trip down memory lane. I remember little of it except the awesome character portraits, the cool atmosphere (no pun intended), and composer Jeremy Soule's epic theme song. And that it was all about the dungeon crawl. 

Unlike its close cousins, the Baldur's Gate series, IWD wasn't about the companions or the myriad little sidequests. Instead of recruiting NPCs full of personality, you created your own party of six. Blank slate. No dialogue, no backstory, no personal quests—except whatever you made up in your head about them.

Today, I've got an Undead Hunter (Paladin), plain old Fighter, Fighter/Cleric, Archer (Ranger), Skald (Bard), and Mage/Thief. I haven't gotten beyond our starting town because it's taken me ages to create a party. All that planning and dice rerolling, you know?

I bought IWD on Steam sale to see if I'd still enjoy it 22 years on. If I do, I might get the Switch copy when it's on discount. The Switch version comes bundled with Planescape: Torment, another cousin in the BioWare/Black Isle clan of D&D games. Also a game I'd love to replay.

As for Triangle Strategy, we were kindly gifted with a copy by my brother-in-law, and I've been enjoying it more than expected. I'll leave that report to another day!