Nov 23, 2022

Gaming mom #026: An actual parenting update (Part 1)

While I've talked about gaming in this column, I've hardly said anything about being a mom.

I don't plan to write a lot more about parenting. But as Little Miss S grows, it's likely that gaming and parenting will converge more in our family life.

Up till now, "gaming" is what happens late at night when "parenting" is on pause. We've minimized her exposure to games but as our kiddo matures, we'll probably let her watch us play more.

She's officially entered the preschooler category now. Though in reality she's still got one foot firmly planted in the toddler category.

It's hard to believe I've kept this blog, on top of reviewing for LadiesGamers, throughout her newborn, baby, and toddler years. How did I manage to keep a hobby—two hobbies!—during the most physically demanding years of parenthood? (Most friends say the first 3 years are the hardest. But a minority warn me that it doesn't get easier; it'll just be hard in a different way.) I think Covid, having a spouse shift to working at home, and our job circumstances in general have made hobbies possible. I've been fortunate.

And I hope to keep this blog going. If I can, then I might write on rare occasion about Miss S's early contact with games.


Like yesterday, when my husband unwrapped his new Pokemon game and offered to show it to her. (Btw, it amazes me that he keeps buying Pokemon titles, even after finishing each one with a declaration that he won't play another Pokemon. And, "Why don't they get voice actors?" he asks each time.)

He even let Miss S pick him a starter pokemon. Of course, she gravitated to the one that looked like her favorite animal. She enjoyed watching her daddy play and asked to see "more Pokemon!" the next day. I'm curious to see how long she'll stay interested.

She's watched me play a few non-violent games during her TV/snack time. But my games, except Animal Crossing and Ring Fit, don't sustain her interest the way TV does. Her TV shows, which we also limit to a small range, make more sense to her young brain than what's happening on the Switch screen.

But speaking of Ring Fit: it's been a long time since I broke out my Ring Con. I've actually started exercising regularly, but minimally, outdoors. So has Miss S.

She used to "exercise" alongside us during Ring Fit sessions in the living room, copying our motions with her own cheapo exercise ring from the dollar store. Nowadays she uses her ring as a pretend bicycle and hula hoop.

Besides those games, she's also watched her dad play a bit of Xenoblade Chronicles 3. Though I don't know what she gets out of the battles since they're a visual mess. I'm glad it's Pokemon now, instead of that.

We'll see if she develops a stronger interest in video games. So far, I've been encouraged to find that she much prefers social/physical play over watching screens. (And she still prefers random household objects over toys.)

I'm looking forward to the day when we can play board games. I'm daydreaming about drawing up Snakes & Ladders on a sheet of paper and rolling dice with her.

But even if she shows a greater interest in video games, I'm glad there are plenty of titles out there which are appropriate for each age group. I'm sure we'll have a good time chatting about what she sees onscreen.

Which reminds me of the perfect game for her to watch next. I've neglected my job as a home designer on the Animal Crossing DLC. I should go back to working for Miss Lottie, and take Miss S with me this time!