Aug 7, 2023

Lego story #023: Santa's away, elves shall play

40564 Winter Elves Scene, a small purchase for parts.

Winter Elves Scene didn't impress, but it looked scavenge-worthy—good for parts.

I had a Merukari coupon to spend and thought those white pieces would be great for winterizing a house. I especially wanted the icicle pieces, known more formally as "Plate, Modified 1x1 with Vertical Tooth."

The cheapest new copy was going for 2,099 yen on Merukari (USD 16 then). I got it for half price with my coupon.

I recovered the cost immediately by selling the pair of elves for USD 8.



Kept the squirrel, though. One for the critter collection!

I looked up the word "critter" while writing this. While it's often used for small animals, "critter" can refer to any living creature. In fact, it originates from the word "creature." Huh!


The frozen pond this elf's standing on is a gimmick: it can spin like a turntable.

40564 Winter Elves Scene was released last November as a GWP (gift-with-purchase), with 40565 Santa's Workshop following shortly after. The pair of GWPs were intended to complement each other.

I hope my elves are having fun in their new home and not just working for Santa! Unless working for Santa is fun . . .