Feb 18, 2023

Lego story #011: What's next after the Treehouse?

Good things ahead!

Writing

I've been meaning to write about Lego obsession, the dark side of this hobby. (Yes, it is now officially a hobby.)

So my next three posts will explore these topics: obsession, self-control, and contentment

I hope to write them in a way that you, dear reader, will find relatable and useful even if you're not a Lego fan. While I write mainly for myself here, I'd like to consider potential readers more. Anyone can write about their hobby, but can they write for non-hobbyists? A good challenge.

Selling

Sales have gone swimmingly! By selling an old laptop and video games, I paid off my Treehouse debt (25,000 yen / USD 190) in under two months.

I got fired up and dug around the house for more things to sell. The money went into my Medieval Blacksmith fund :)

Dismantling and organizing

After only one week of proud display, I broke the Treehouse down. Sorted the parts into ziploc bags and flattened the original box. Feels good to have it organized, compact, and ready for metamorphosis!

I'm more interested in building than displaying. In any case, I have very limited space for display and storage. My one display cabinet can either hold a finished set, or a work-in-progress. I find it more rewarding to display an evolving work-in-progress than a finished but static set.

Building

Within the past few weeks, I was extremely lucky to obtain two sets much earlier than expected. They're both top on my wishlist: Medieval Blacksmith (21325) and Bonsai (10281).

The Blacksmith was discounted 21% on Amazon Japan (11% discount + 10% coupon). That's as good as it gets for sales in Japan, I think, especially sets from the Lego Ideas series. I haven't found a physical retailer that offers anything like Walmart clearance sales.

The Bonsai was a Valentine's Day gift. I had given my husband a Rakuten voucher for V-Day, thinking he might save it for Breath of the Wild 2. Instead, he used it to buy a Bonsai! Guess I ended up getting myself a gift. Who needs wilting flowers anyway, eh?

Besides these two lovelies, I'm also building MOCs from Rebrickable.com. The acronym stands for "My Original Creations" and refers to fan-made designs. I'll work through free MOCs before trying paid MOCs. Already built a few using my Razor Crest Microfighter.

Photos to come!