Jan 14, 2022

Gaming mom #015: Checking into 2022

Why I didn't check in for 6 months and what's changing.


Last summer saw a flurry of writing for LG. I had the good fortune to review two much-awaited games, Griftlands and Curious Expedition 2. My expectations were high. Amazingly, neither game disappointed.

Then I took a three-month break from writing about games, which just ended.

Spent those months playing "whatever I feel like," which ended up being more roguelike deckbuilders.  Despite belonging to the same sub-genre, Nowhere Prophet and Dicey Dungeons are as different as can be: grim post-apocalyptic versus hip comedy; army placement versus dice rolling. 

Finally tried the card game Signs of the Sojourner too. Its wholesome concept was refreshing. In a world of merchants, you learn to get along with other traders by adopting their communication style.

All good stuff. But I had been playing roguelikes and card games for the last three years. I felt the need for a change at last!



That change was Eastward, another highly anticipated title. Reading reviews of Eastward had cooled my ardor, but I went for it anyway and enjoyed it. Deciding not to rush the game was key, plus having lower expectations. Not only have I come away with fond memories but also my first album purchase in 10 years! Joel Corelitz's soundtrack is just so good. My favorite tracks are "Heretic Frypan" and "Iron Carbine."

I also put 40 hours into Atelier Escha and Logy, an older but well-liked entry of the Atelier crafting series. It's not really the bomb for me. Slice-of-life stories tend to be hit or miss; in my case, I didn't care for yet another random conversation. Crafting was more addictive than I expected, though, and I liked the art style and UI design. I'm open to trying another Atelier title, maybe Atelier Ryza?


Now I'm back in Animal Crossing mode. But not at last year's feverish pitch, when we were just entering Covid life and Animal Crossing: New Horizons arrived at the perfect time. I'm only doing light chores and keeping an eye out for new furniture. 

Remodeling isn't on my agenda. That's too much work, and I don't like having my home in upheaval. Starting a home from scratch is much more appealing. So the recent DLC was exciting news: design homes for other people

I haven't signed up for that job yet, though. I'm going to cruise a bit first.

Literally, Spiritfarer is a cruise (that's what I'm playing now). In fact, the opening hours were so leisurely and vacant as to be almost boring. But the game's picking up momentum. It's becoming quite lovable, though I won't be surprised if it turns into a grind-fest later. For now, I'm liking the integration of music with gameplay and the interesting villagers—I mean, passengers. They sure beat my two meathead villagers in AC: New Horizons who can't talk about anything but their abs.

So that's the gaming report for 2021 Q3 and Q4.

More interesting is what's changing. Though my word on that will be brief, because change happens all too incrementally.

I used to insist on finishing a game before moving on to the next. Now I'm less completionist, less conscientious. So what if I abandon that award-winning title? I'm learning to live a little!

During my three-month writing break, I spent a lot more time editing. Was lucky to help with an upbeat sci-fi novel, something not dystopian for a change. I'd like to work more with projects like that.

So this year, I plan to spend less time gaming. More time reading and developing professionally. Let's see how that goes, 'cos you never know what curve-balls life has lined up. Wish me the best!