May 10, 2021

Gaming mom #014: Reviewing games that are "just okay"

To like or not to like.

LadiesGamers rating scale

The LadiesGamers rating spectrum is this:

Two Thumbs Up
I Like It A Lot
I Like It
Not Sure
Don't Like It

I get into this dilemma when reviewing games that are borderline okay. When hovering between "Like It" and "Not Sure," I really mull over the final verdict, sometimes feeling conflicted for a day or two.

Just okay

The last time I pondered this dilemma was while driving Little Miss S to sleep. 

In recent weeks, she had been super-resistant to an afternoon nap. Virtually a 90% immunity to sleep spells. Life is too exciting to waste on lying down when you're a toddler, you see. 

I was tired of being her gymnastic bench, waiting up to an hour for her to crash into sleep—while she climbed back and forth over me like an energizer bunny. So I resorted to the Car Method. 

Within minutes of driving, Miss S's head tilted and her eyes shut. Now I could pay full attention to deciding the final verdict for Game X (perhaps not the safest driving practice).

As usual, I was "Not Sure" in my heart but trying to find reasons to "Like It" in my head.

I'm still working this out, but I suppose my reviewing philosophy is to encourage small indie developers.

"Liking" an indie game puts it in a green zone; "Not Sure" puts it in a red zone. Gamers have a limited amount of dollars to spend, and I imagine that many reflexively dismiss games that have been put in the red zone by reviewers. Why spend money on a "just okay" game when there are "great" games out there?

So I'm compelled to "Like" indie games that aren't very good, especially if it's the developer's first or second title—to help give them a fighting chance. But often a game's flaws niggle at me enough to consider slapping the "Not Sure" label on. 

In the end, I'm usually inclined to give a favorable review, but one accompanied by plenty of warning about the game's weak points. 

Not okay

Now, what games would I actually rate "Not Sure" or "Don't Like It"? These are games that I just can't make excuses for, that I wouldn't recommend to anyone gameplay-wise. Or, very violent games.

I'm unlikely to grant a "Don't Like," since most games that come my way usually have redeeming qualities and aren't broken. But I would dislike perfectly functional games with overly gratuitous violence (though I would avoid playing them in the first place) or games that are morally reprehensible overall. They're games I wouldn't want Miss S to play.

People may object to factoring violence into a rating, since violence has supposedly nothing to do with whether a game is well-designed. That's a valid philosophy, but not one I agree with. I don't play "good" games that happen to be very violent. Just like I avoid watching horror or violent films that happen to be well-directed or well-acted. Someone else who appreciates them will provide a fairer review than I can.

While driving home, I settled on a verdict for Game X. So I had a relaxing car ride, and I solved my dilemma. Twenty minutes well spent. Now, I only had to transfer the sleeping Miss S carefully from car to bed. Crossing my fingers, I prayed wordlessly that she would snooze on.

But alas.