Sep 16, 2019

Pregnant and gaming: The first trimester

People have plenty of reasons for not keeping up with their blog. But I have a pretty good excuse this time.



My morning sickness wasn't severe, but it sure robbed me of virtually all motivation for anything--even for games. The games I had looked forward so much to trying were left unfinished, and though I did pick up gaming again, I never returned to these because they remind me of that awful period of nausea.

But I'm making up for the lack of blogging now with a tri-part series of mini-reviews. Just a short paragraph to commemorate the games I played over the course of this pregnancy. I managed to squeeze some full reviews into LadiesGamers too, so I'll link those.

Here goes! The first trimester saw:

Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (PS4)
Final Fantasy meets programming. I liked the gambit system but probably wasn't configuring it right because I got tired of tweaking each party member's actions constantly. I also wish they had stuck to one job board instead of expanding to two job boards per character for the Zodiac edition. All in all, it felt like too much management. I shamefully confess abandoning to this rather nice game.

Stardew Valley (Switch)
Harvest Moon was the most addictive game ever in my gaming history, until Stardew took the crown. Like everyone has said, it's basically Harvest Moon Ultimate Version. With fruit trees and fruit jam! Now, I never finished the game because it goes on eternally, if you want it to. You could play it for hundreds of hours, which is what some people have done.

Wargroove (Switch)

Our generation's Advance Wars, but with lances instead of guns. Much anticipated but left some things to be desired, especially in the length of its draggy missions. Cute, though. Longer review here.


Pathway (PC)
I was enticed by the Indy Jones choose-your-adventure concept, decked out in sweet pixel art. But gameplay, especially combat, did not deliver. Three out of five campaigns was repetitive enough.


Next post: Things started looking up in the second trimester, though!