Jan 30, 2023

Lego story #010: Building the Treehouse (part 6, final)

It is finished.

Front view of the Lego Ideas 21318 Treehouse. It is 3,036 pieces dense.


Back view.

I had to adjust the leaves, crowding them inward to fit my cabinet.

To my horror, I had discovered that the Treehouse's official dimensions of 27 x 24 x 37 cm do NOT account for the leaves spread to full length. Instead of 27 cm, the full length of foliage is closer to 40 cm!

But after a moment of despair, I realized the leaves could be re-angled to fit my cabinet's 36 x 31 x 38 cm dimensions. Phew. 


It's been a lovely experience putting this together. My first big set, the one that pulled me into becoming an AFOL (adult fan of Lego).

I enjoyed every bit of it. Oh wait, almost every bit.

The only negative experience I had was attaching little green twigs to the leaves. You have to drive them through two leaves, which can be painful on the fingers. I ended up using Miss S's Miffy rabbit apron, and later a pair of gloves, to reduce that friction. In winter my fingers are chapped enough; so I don't need more chafing, thank you.

Still, I can't protest the concept of one-twig-skewering-two-leaves. It's a simple, elegant, organic idea that firmly keeps the hair on this tree's head.


I'm impressed by the Treehouse's overall stability. It's easy to pick up the entire structure by the lower trunk.

The only thing that's a touch precarious are the rooms. They're stable enough but don't feel tightly glued onto the main branches. Maybe that's just in my case, though.





Lego food sparks joy.




I'm really fond of the telescope balcony. I kept taking pictures of it.

But I need to learn to take better photos. I don't like how the light looks on the food pics above. Yeah, I'm just using my phone, which has its limits. But you can only do so much with better gear if you know how to use them right. I must confess, though, to feeling intimidated by technical talk in photography.

Besides that, what's next after the Treehouse? I'll talk about that in my next post, plus muse about Lego obsession.