Sep 14, 2022

Gaming mom #023: Revisiting the Forgotten Realms (Part 3)

Still going strong in Baldur's Gate 2.

Despite the initial feeling of clunkiness when I picked up BG1 for nostalgia, I got into the groove. Now it's just really relaxing to play. All thanks to the Switch port for being simply excellent. The controls couldn't be better . . . unless they had touchscreen controls, but I wouldn't expect any. It's already a feat, what they've done with the Switch port.

Yes, shifting inventory between 6 party members can still be a hassle. But my experience with Divinity: Original Sin -- a modern spiritual successor to BG -- wasn't any better when I tried it on PS4. I still haven't gotten into Divinity, but that's partly because it gave me eye strain. A pity, 'cos I always hear good things about the Divinity series and hope to try it again.

But that's not going to happen for a long time. Right now, I'm running around the Underdark, getting killed way, way more times in this area than the whole series so far. Yeah, it's those mind flayers.

If you've watched Stranger Things, you would have heard of mind flayers. You get to meet the real deal in BG2. Mind flayers, and even a statue of Demogorgon, appear. Vecna does not, though my cleric has a nifty suit called the Robe of Vecna.

So, mind flayers: they're actually intelligent creatures who wear clothes, live in society, etc. Very annoying to fight. Their long-range psionic blasts stun you into paralysis, after which they simply walk up and devour your brain, then game over. There are too many mind flayers in BG2 for my liking. Fortunately, or unfortunately, they're mostly confined to this one area in the Underdark.



The Underdark: a vast underground land. Home to lots of baddy creatures, most notably the drow -- often called "dark elves" and originally written to be dark-skinned and evil. Later editions of Dungeons & Dragons re-described the drow as grey-skinned and released them from the curse of being inherently evil.

I'm enjoying my time in the drow city of Ust Natha. While I'm witnessing several horrors here, it's still fun to experience the "foreign" culture of the drow -- their architecture, manner of speech, society, and behavior. The story's been good too. I'm undercover (disguised as drow by magic) and trying not to get exposed as navigate choices which decide the fate of people's lives.


The entire Underdark arc has expanded my experience of Baldur's Gate, because it's forced me to use magic often. Playing on Easy difficulty, I got by most of BG1 and the first half of BG2 with minimal use of spells. When I played Baldur's Gate on the PC as a kid, I survived with cheats and brute force. Now I'm finally learning an arsenal of Mage and Priest spells. In a way, I'm finally experiencing the best of BG combat. I'm terrible at it, but plenty of advice can be found on forums. There's a huge variety of spells and room for different strategies.

If I end up doing my next playthrough (maybe next year, with an evil party), it might be fun to make my protagonist a spellcaster for a change.